Let’s get one thing straight: Anyone — regardless of gender — can make the first move. But some guys feel pressured to take initiative when they have a crush, which can feel daunting for even the bravest of dudes. Shy guys might feel even more stressed about working up the courage to talk to an awesome girl.
Over on Reddit’s AskMen, shy guys shared their tips for approaching girls, getting a good conversation rolling, and even asking girls out. Here’s what goes on in their heads when they try to catch your attention (now you know!).
Some guys prefer to take it slow.
1. “Most shy people (including myself) don’t really go for the classic ‘want a date’ or whatever approach… We try to get to know someone first, and if we click eventually, we’ll gather the courage to clumsily tell.” – danymsk
2. “Taking it a little slower than usual is probably better than forcing it too fast. But make a move at some point or else she might think you just want to be friends.” – anachronic
Some guys just blurt something out.
3. “I blurt it out at an awkward moment once I’m at least 85 percent sure that she’s gonna like me back.” – Kentzfield
4. “I might tell her that the new dress she’s wearing looks good on her.” – Whatsthedealwithair
Or they try to catch your eye.
5. “I gawk at her from across the gym while thinking really hard that I think she’s really attractive and hope she gets the message.”- toysjoe
6. “Awkward eye contact followed by a fake embarrassed smile when she catches you.”- notqualified94
One genius even suggests — drumroll, please — treating girls like actual human beings!
7. “Be interested in what she says, joke around with her, ask follow-up questions, tell her she’s interesting, make it obvious that you’re paying attention to HER. Focus on her and treat her like she’s a fellow human being you’re interested in getting to know, and not just some random chick.” – anachronic
But tbh, everyone’s still figuring it out.
8. “I’m still working on getting comfortable enough with my sexuality to not feel like I’m automatically creepy just for feeling attracted to them.”- WesterosiAssassin
9. “I do eventually muster the courage to ask girls out, but it generally comes as a surprise to them since I’m so shy about expressing my interest. It’s something I’m working on right now”- LEIFey